I love learning and growing! In all areas of my life I’m constantly in search of growing and becoming more of who I’m created to be. I’m constantly doing online webinars and photography workshops, and I attend at least one in person conference or workshop per year. But I’m gonna be honest, sometimes these types of gatherings can be overwhelming experiences for me because I have a bajillion thoughts and feelings running through my veins during and after.
This past weekend I went to the RESET photography conference here in Indianapolis. It was my second year in a row attending the conference. Last year it was in Illinois so I was pretty happy it was local this year! Photography can be a lonely road. Working solo as an entrepreneur is not always the easiest so it’s nice to gather with like-minded friends who “get” what I’m talking about and feeling. Besides having a great time chatting, eating, laughing, and making new friends, this conference was an inspiration. It has literally taken me a full week to digest all the many things going on in my mind. I didn’t so much as leave with a crazy long list of things to change and do more of, but more with motivation to move forward and keep pressing into areas of weakness. What I walked away with is the courage to START…to start dreaming, pressing in, and letting go of perfection, fear, and comparison!
I’ve been in this crazy battlefield of the mind trying to sort through what I do in my business, what I don’t do in my business, what I want to do differently, how I feel about it all, and WHY the heck I do what I do. It’s so nice to gather with others in the industry to reflect and remember why we do what we do! I’m thankful for the time to RESET…to evaluate…to wrestle…and to regain momentum to keep on keeping on! 🙂 Since I’ve returned, I’ve set new goals and have started working towards them. I have even created a calendar for the month for writing my goals down & setting some structure to my blogging routine and more intentional Instagram sharing. (You can follow me on Instagram @raindancerstudios!!)
Nuggets of wisdom, inspiration, & reminders that I gathered from other photographers…
- I remembered my “WHY” as a photographer…I love to celebrate with people and to not only capture their joy but to see it, feel it, and share it! It is what keeps me going…and dancing in the rain. It’s important to remember WHY I do things and WHY I want to do things.
- A photographer’s job is more physchological than artistic…we are breaking down barriers of the person’s perspective of themselves and their own insecurities. It’s my goal to make people feel comfortable in front of my camera and in their own skin.
- Newsletters and nurturing an email list is a smart idea.
- Instagram is where it’s at!
- Men care about how you make them feel, too.
- Shoot less. Talk more.
- Body language is everything.
- Little clamps can save lives, yo!
- I am my own boss. I better be good to myself!!
- Moisturizer with spf is BAD for photos. 😉
- What people wear matters!
- Fear is meant to warn us. It is apart of us and in us always. Good news…We can rewire our brains! We rewire our brains (neuroplasticity) by acting and doing something in courage.
- Community over Competition is where it’s at!
- START…where you are with what you have. Starting is better than pausing until perfect. [mic drop]
My favorite quotes:
- “Smiles happen in the mind…not on the face.” – Jeff Rojas
- “Remember your why.” -Bre Thurston
- “Life is a learning curve. Start. Learn. Persevere.” -Natalie Franke
My favorite happenings:
- Dinner and lunches with friends in the business including a raspberry lemon drop beverage. Oh yum!
- Free Starbucks from Miller’s Lab
- I won a free signature photo album from Miller’s Lab!! Yay me!!!
- Buying cute props at discounted price. #ilovedeals
- Walking the city streets in 60 degree weather at the beginning of March. WOW!
- Laughter and smiles
- Dancing jam music in between sessions
- Hearing personal stories of inspiration